Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Orange-Coconut Cake



I made this cake for the party we had in January, and it's so good that I'm moving it over!

I mostly made it up, but I took some suggestions from The Voluptuous Vegan. It's a moist, rich cake, with a soft crumb texture and a firm crust. I recommend using organic citrus for the zest. I baked it in my star-shaped cake pan, and it unmolded effortlessly. Definitely a special-occasion cake.


2 C white flour
1/2 C barley flour
1/2 C gold n white or whole wheat pastry flour

cinnamon to taste
1/2 T cardamon
1 1/2 T baking powder
1 T baking soda
1/2 t salt
2/3 C sugar
the zest of one organic orange
some zest (maybe 1 T) of an organic grapefruit

MIx all dry ingredients.

MIx together:
1 can coconut milk, well shaken
1/3 C maple syrup or honey
1/4 C canola oil
the juice of the orange you zested

Add to dry ingredients and mix until just mixed.

Bake in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I iced the cake with shredded coconut, confectioners' sugar and a little orange juice, and chilled it to set the icing. I forgot to toast the coconut, but I recommend you do so.

A few weeks later, when visiting Mary, I made a similar cake in her kitchen/living room (that was a very coconutty visit--I made coconut roti later in the week too). However, I was impatient to eat it and didn't bake it long enough, because a few days later it started to get moldy in the middle! The first cake was eaten immediately, so I didn't get a chance to see if that happened, but definitely hold that off by 1) baking it
long enough 2) eating it quickly or 3) throwing it in the fridge.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home