Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fireworks, fermentation, fluffy books

Since I'm taking July off from dissertating, I've been able to do things I enjoy. Yesterday, for instance, I started up a brine crock with some cucumbers and kohlrabi and dill, started a sourdough starter, and made some kombucha from the mother R brought me (all the way from Grand Marais!). I went to a potluck at M's house and saw some nice fireworks. I talked doughnuts with G, A, and A. How many groups of hip young people want to start doughnut shops? Many, it seems. I read Millicent Min, Girl Genius. I joined a summer choir that starts next week. I get to play with computers at my summer job. I have a date next week. Lots of things are going right.

Found quote: "Milk is a more accursed drink than water." Lord Dunsany, Tales of Wonder, which I'm reading before I go to bed. His stories are all enormously frustrating, because they're about other stories that are too dangerous and terrible to actually tell us, or the characters die before they can tell the stories.

My other summer reading has been the novels of Georgette Heyer, who wrote Regency romances. Usually, anything labelled 'romance' would never get past my heteronormativity shit detector, but recently lots of YA writers/bloggers have been talking about how much they love her, and I ventured up to the Dewey section of the U library and, well, I love these novels, with their plucky, unconventional heroines, and their grumpy gentleman and all their witty repartee. I have read about six so far, Lady of Quality, Devil's Cub, Arabella, Frederica, and--oh, dear, I can't even remember the others, they do blend toghether. But I recommend them as fab beachy novels.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Rhea said...

So glad to see you're doing all those wonderful Suzanne-y things! And thanks for mentioning kumbucha--you reminded me that I need to refrigerate mine before the mushroom takes over my apartment. It's been sitting patiently in its dark place for a bit longer than it should've... Oh, and I do hope you'll post the poem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home